10 Oct 2007

spb66 #40: News from Ip Sing Yiu




from "Ip, Wallace (ipws)"
to Edward Sin
date Oct 10, 2007 10:39 AM


Dear Edward,

I wanted to post a brief message on the spb66 blog site to say hello to everyone, but after some poking around I realized that you are the only person who can post on the site. So here's what I want to say to all my buddies of 40 years...

Hello sixty-sixers,

This is Ip Sing Yiu. The procrastinator that I am, I was going to wait until a nice round number like 40 years before I wrote, but Nico Choi and Henry Gaw have made it all but impossible. Nico, just about the only SPB I've stayed in touch with over the years because his children went to grad school at Cincinnati, got me a copy of the spb66 year book that you guys so nicely put together. This alone cost me several evenings of flipping through the book and trying to remember everyone. Forty years is a long time, but somehow a lot of memories managed to resurface. It was fun, but it also reminded me how long it had been since I left old HK and practically left my life behind.

Then, two weeks ago, Henry practically showed up at my doorstep and bought me and my wife a lovely lunch. He had been on business at his alma mater, Purdue, and on his way home to the West Coast, met up with us at the Indianapolis airport, an easy two-hour drive from our home in Cincinnati. We had a wonderful time reminiscing about old St. Paul's, re-attaching nicknames to real people, catching up on gossips, and updating one another about the people that we were in contact with. For me, those were precious few, but Henry seems to be in touch with almost everyone. What a guy!

In case you are wondering, I've had a pretty pedestrian 40 years since leaving HK. Realizing that I really wanted to do research after college, I entered graduate school. After way too many years of fellowships, I became faculty at the University of Cincinnati and now do research in cancer and brain tumors, and teach med school. Government funding for research is very tight these days, but I've managed to be one of the few lucky ones who still enjoy a fairly high level of grant support. It probably won't last long given these horrible times!

Sadly, I will not be able to attend the grand reunion in November. It sounds fantastic, but med school teaching is in fullswing and two grant renewals await my attention. I do plan to see as many of you as I can next year in Toronto, where I understand the next North American reunion is happening. In the meantime, if any of you are traveling across the US and happen to be flying Delta, there is a very good chance that you will be making a stop at Cincinnati, one of Delta's major hubs. If that happens, I'll never forgive you if you don't give me a shout or shoot me an email ahead of time so I can have a beer with you. I live 20 minutes from the airport. My cell phone is always with me and my email is on 24-7.

Best regards,
Wally


Wallace Ip, Ph.D., Professor
Department of Cell and Cancer Biology
Associate Director, Recruitment and Admissions
Graduate Program in Cell and Cancer Biology
Director, Center for Biological Microscopy
University of Cincinnati
Vontz Center for Molecular Studies
3125 Eden Avenue
Cincinnati, OH 45267-0521

Tel. 513-558-3614 office
513-232-3691 home
513-460-3279 cell
Fax 513-558-4454
email: wallace.ip@uc.edu

No comments: