17 Jul 2007

spb66 #26: Message from John Leung






Subject: ThanksDate: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 17:26:10 -0700From:
John Leung <john.leung@NAU.EDU>Reply-To: John.Leung@NAU.EDUOrganization:
NAUTo: 'frankfu' <frankfu@hkbu.edu.hk>




Hi Frank,



I just received the copy of the new SPC Class of ’66 “yearbook” – or should I call it the reunion book. Thank you so very much for sending it to me.

It brings back so many wonderful memories, and at the same time, it is such a challenge to try to recognize some of the “new faces” from ancient and hoary recollections, if you know what I mean.


Some are relatively easy – even if I had not had the pleasure and fortune of seeing you a few times in the last couple of years, I probably would be able to recognize you. The same goes for Siu Kwong and Siu Kai, and Kan Siu Cheong. But for some others it’s quite a stretch of the imagination.


In any case, I am utterly thankful and at your debt for being so considerate. I have actually lost quite a few pounds from the way I was even the last time we met in 2005, and during my surgery in March, I started growing a beard, so there are some recent changes to the way I look. I hope that doesn’t throw you off when we meet again, although that might not be too soon –


I will definitely not be able to join you all for the reunion “festivities” this
summer and fall, but perhaps I can plan something for next year.


Anyway, I don’t have any good recent photographs of myself (usually I am behind the camera instead of in front of the lens) but last month we went back to Rhode Island for a short visit. My in-laws (Janet’s mom and dad) live in Rhode Island,


And I was also invited by the administration of my doctoral alma mater, Brown U, to go in for a brief consultation with them about their plans and ideas for a rapidly developing collaboration and exchange program between Brown and CUHK.


I had a great time in Rhode Island. We stayed at this house which we rented for the week that is located pretty close to the shores of Narragansett Bay, across from Newport. Although I ate my fill of the great seafood of New England, however, I didn’t gain much weight at all.


Anyway, I’m sending you a picture of myself and Janet on the porch outside this house that is not really ours. It’s perhaps a bit too casual, but it’s recent. The other is a photograph of my making a brief presentation at the University of Rhode Island. Please feel free to share with other SPC folks when you meet for the lunches and dinners.


I understand that my colleague Pin Ng will be coming to HK in about ten days’ time. Thank you so much, Frank, for taking care of him, and for helping him obtain the Fulbright.


Pin’s a good badminton player – much better than I ever was and certainly much much better than I am now, and perhaps you guys could hit it off in various ways besides the academic. I hope all is well, and please give my best to your family, as well as to the SPC friends.


Best wishes and regards for peace,

John

No comments: